July 30, 2006
Some people claim the Bukari and Muslim hadith reporting Hazrat Aisha’s age are “weak” (I won’t call them weak hadits, in reality they are attack on our prophet pbuh.)
There is material from both these hadith writers and earlier Islamic histories suggesting Aisha must have been older than nine when married.
- According to hadith in Bukhari and Muslim, Aisha is said to have joined Muhammad on the raid that culminated in the Battle of Badr, in 624 CE. However, because no one below the age of fifteen was allowed to accompany raiding parties, Aisha should have been at least fifteen in 624 CE and thus at least thirteen when she was married following the Hijra in 622 CE.
- Ibn Hisham’s recension of Ibn Ishaq’s Sirat Rashul Allah, the earliest surviving biography of Muhammad, records Aisha as having converted to Islam before Umar ibn al-Khattab, during the first few years of Islam around 610 CE. In order to accept Islam she must have been walking and talking, hence at least three years of age, which would make her at least fifteen in 622 CE.
- Tabari reports that Abu Bakr wished to spare Aisha the discomforts of a journey to Ethiopia soon after 615 CE, and tried to bring forward her marriage to Mut`am’s son. Mut`am refused because Abu Bakr had converted to Islam, but if Aisha was already of marriageable age in 615 CE, she must have been older than nine in 622 CE.
- Tabari also reports that Abu Bakr’s four children were all born during the Jahiliyyah, the pre Islamic period, which could be said to have ended in 610 CE, making Aisha at least twelve in 622 CE.
- According to Ibn Hajar, Fatima was five years older than Aisha. Fatima is reported to have been born when Muhammad was thirty-five years old, meaning Aisha was born when he was forty years old, and thus twelve when Muhammad married at fifty-two.
- Most of these narratives are reported only by Hisham ibn Urwa reporting on the authority of his father. All the narratives of this event have been reported through narrators from Iraq, where Hisham ibn Urwa is reported to have shifted after living in Madinah for seventy-one years. It is reported in one of the most well known books on the life and reliability of the narrators of the traditions ascribed to the Muhammad reports that Yaqub ibn Shaibah said, “narratives reported by Hisham are reliable except those that are reported through the people of Iraq”. It further states that Malik ibn Anas objected on those narratives of Hisham, which were reported through people of Iraq. Another book on the narrators of the traditions of the Muhammad reports that when he was old, Hisham’s memory suffered quite badly.
- According to the generally accepted tradition, Aisha was born about eight years before Hijrah. However, according to another narrative in Bukhari (Kitaab al-Tafseer) Aisha is reported to have said that at the time Surah Al-Qamar, the 54th chapter of the Qur’an , was revealed, “I was a young girl”. The 54th Surah of the Qur’an was revealed nine years before Hijrah. According to this tradition, Aisha had not only been born before the revelation of the referred Surah, but was actually a young girl, not even only an infant at that time. So if this age is assumed to be 7 to 14 years then her age at the time of marriage would be 14 to 21.
- According to almost all the historians, Asma the elder sister of Aisha, was ten years older than Aisha. It is reported in Taqreeb al-Tehzeeb as well as Al-Bidayah wa al-Nihayah that Asma died in the 73rd year after migration of Muhammad when she was 100 years old. Now, obviously if Asma was 100 years old in the 73rd year after Migration to Medina, she should have been 27 or 28 years old at the time of migration. If Asma was 27 or 28 years old at the time of hijrah, Aisha should have been 17 or 18 years old at that time. Thus, Aisha – if she got married in 1 AH (after Migration to Medina) or 2 AH – was between 18 to 20 years old at the time of her marriage.
- According to many Ahadith in Bukhari, it is believed Aisha participated in the battle of Badr and Uhud.Also in Bukhari (Kitabu’l-maghazi) Ibn `Umar states that the Prophet did not permit me to participate in Uhud, as at that time, I was 14 years old. But on the day of Khandaq, when I was 15 years old, the Prophet permitted my participation. So if it was not allowed to participate in Uhud for people younger than 15, then Aisha would be atleast 15 in those battles, making her age atleast 13 to 14 at the time of marriage.
- Tabaqat ibn Sa’d, 8:58; Ansab al-Ashraf, 1:410. Opinions are in disagreement concerning her marriage with Muhammad. Their marriage seems to have taken place either two of five years after the Migration (Usd al-ghaba, 5:501).
July 24, 2006
I asked a few people about Hazrat Aisha’s age when Prophet got married to her, the answer was never clear, I did a little research and found the following hadits from the “MOST AUTHENTIC BOOKS” – read it your self and tell me what you think !!!!
The hadith collections of Bukhari (d. 870) and Muslim b. al-Hajjaj (d. 875) both quote Aisha herself claiming she was nine at the time of her marriage.
- “Narrated ‘Aisha: The prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years old). We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Harith Kharzraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell down. Later on my hair grew (again) and my mother, Um Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my girl friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing became all right, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, ‘Best wishes and God’s blessing and a good luck.’ Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage).”
- “Narrated ‘Aisha: that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).”
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88 “Narrated ‘Ursa: The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with ‘Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).”
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 58, Number 236. “Narrated Hisham’s father: Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married ‘Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consumed (sic – consummated) that marriage when she was nine years old.”
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 65 “Narrated ‘Aisha: that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that ‘Aisha remained with the Prophet for nine years (i.e. till his death).” what you know of the Quran (by heart)'”
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 151 Narrated ‘Aisha: I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet, and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah’s Apostle used to enter they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for ‘Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)
- “‘A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house at the age of nine. She further said: We went to Medina and I had an attack of fever for a month, and my hair had come down to the earlobes. Umm Ruman (my mother) came to me and I was at that time on a swing along with my playmates. She called me loudly and I went to her and I did not know what she had wanted of me. She took hold of my hand and took me to the door, and I was saying: Ha, ha (as if I was gasping), until the agitation of my heart was over. She took me to a house, where had gathered the women of the Ansar. They all blessed me and wished me good luck and said: May you have share in good. She (my mother) entrusted me to them. They washed my head and embellished me and nothing frightened me. Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) came there in the morning, and I was entrusted to him.”
- “‘Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.”
See the work of Hadits! That’s what these MOST AUTHENTIC BOOKS have to say about last prophet (PBUH).
July 23, 2006
The common problem among most of us (Muslims) is that we simply DON’T KNOW what we are following? What is Islam all about and what are the answers to the most common questions that a person might ask. We do certain things because we saw our parents doing the same or they forced us to do it without any LOGICAL explanation. The following article is really an amazing one, please do read it and try to understand the dilemma of current Muslims condition, Why we are the most illiterate and most deprived people on the planet earth. Is it too late or can Muslims still be cured? – read the article and you’ll find the answer.
Article by Layth:
Human beings are born with the natural tendency to be inquisitive. Anyone who has children will know that no matter how many times you tell them “no”, they will still try to touch a hot pan or play with the dirt to understand WHY they should not. This is a GOD given mechanism that our Lord has bestowed on the human species to let us expand our knowledge and only accept what we understand and know. When Muslims were ruling an living by the Quran, there was no problem with this natural human tendency for curiosity since the Quran had an answer to every question…Muslims at that time witnessed an intellectual growth unparalleled in the history of Arabia or even the world at that time…
The tendency to question and inquire led Muslim children to grow-up in an atmosphere where NOTHING was off-limits and nothing was taboo. Their questioning simply developed an unlimited appetite for knowledge, which was only fed by discoveries and advancements in just about every field. Then, a few hundred years after the Quran had fueled an “intellectual” revolution in the Muslim minds…Something began to change…
The widespread introduction of “Hadith” and its popularity with the masses began to slowly create problems with the education of Muslims. Hadith was not even to be compared on the same plain as the Quran due to its inferior language and its basis on “hearsay” and “conjecture”. Propagators of Hadith were nearly always cornered by sincere Muslim students who wanted explanations for obvious contradictions and illogical contents.
We can only assume that the establishment of Hadith as a source of Islamic law was only achieved many centuries after its initial gathering by Bukhari and others ONLY by having it forced on the Muslim masses with a rejection for scrutiny or questioning. Muslim school children today are taught from a very early age not to question or over analyze their sources for religion as they might be incurring the wrath of GOD and walking the path of Hell. Student’s questions are typically answered with statements like: ‘Are you BETTER that the previous generations who fought with the Prophet?‘, or ‘Do you hate the Prophet that you QUESTION his Sunnah?‘. With such a barrage of accusations, young Muslim students learn for early on to simply accept what they are given without thought or questions…And when they are older, they simply repeat to the younger generation what was told to them about going to Hell and disrespecting the Prophet…The cycle goes on!…How sad !!! Now its about time to change it, please do not say anything to you kids until you really know the answer – infect, start learning Quran, this is the only way forward.
July 19, 2006
I was surfing the Internet for some Urdu fonts for my blog and came across this article on “Hudood Orinance in Pakistan“, click on the following link to read it:
Its an awesome article which gives a very good understanding and differences between adultery and rape, and also clarifies the punishment for such acts according to Quran. Read my previous post “Stoning to to death is non-Islamic” for further information and see how obvious Allah has said it in Quran – and how people have messed it up and changed it completely.
July 13, 2006
The common believe of many Muslims who blindly follow Hadits is that Quran was not in form of a book during Prophet Mohammad time but infact was collected and publish after 15 years of his death by Hazrat Osman and Omar. It is NOT true, Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) had the Quran written and formed as we have it today and he also made other copies from his master version. The book I have uploaded is an awesome piece of work on History of Quran. You will also find out how “Imam Ahl-e-Sunnat Hazrat Mulana Abdul Shakoor Lakhnawi (a hardcore Ahle-Hadit)” changed his believe from Quran being collected and published by Hazrat Omar and Osman to Prophet Mohammad (PBUH).
Click on the following links to read the whole book – It’s in Urdu.
Please let others know about this book – Thanks
July 10, 2006
For those who still have a desire to hold onto ‘Hadith’ after all the evidence presented…there is just ONE Hadith that is 100% authentic and also encourage all people to goto:
[39:23] The GOD has revealed herein the best Hadith; a book that is consistent, and points out both ways. The skins of those who reverence their Lord cringe therefrom, then their skins and their hearts soften up for The GOD’s message. Such is The GOD’s guidance; He bestows it upon whoever wills. As for those sent astray by The GOD, nothing can guide them.
July 1, 2006
Maulana Maudoodi writes that if Hadith had also been preserved as the Quran, then:
“The Quran would have at least become as big as Encyclopedia Britannica in volume.”(Tafheemaat. Vol 1,page 236)
Because its volume would have increased so God did not include this part of revelation in the Quran. If we accept this argument, that the volume would be huge, then why was this revelation not written in a separate volume. To this the answer is:
“In those times there was paucity of literacy, and almost little means to have it written.” (Tarjuman ul Quran, March 1954)
The was the answer of Maulana Maudoodi’s…. Even though it has been proven that Quran was written and compiled in front of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH)
Dr. Hameed Ullah writes in one of his articles that was printed in the Karachi periodical ‘Al Islam,’ in its January 1-15, 1959 issue:
“The Messenger proved to be a man of modest and careful deeds. In the capacity of a Messenger of God, he had taken all possible and necessary steps to ensure that the message of God, not only was it delivered correctly to the people, but also that it was preserved. If he had adopted the same steps for his own deeds, he would have been taken for an egoist. That is why the Hadith story is different from the Quran.”
This is the story of that Hadith, which is being placed next to Quran and by renouncing it we become heretics, in the same way we become a heretic by not believing in the Quran.
Do those statements make any sense at all???? How can you call Hadits even near to Quran !!!!